Classic cornbread topped with shredded chicken and veggies dredged in barbeque sauce, melty cheese and fresh green onions. This BBQ Chicken and Cornbread Pie is delicious and easy weeknight meal! This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.
There are days that I definitely miss living in the South. With the California drought this year, those days seem to be more and more frequent. I miss green trees and wildlife in my backyard, thunderstorms and humidity. I miss windy back roads and hidden lakes. I even miss the y’alls. Most of all, I miss some good Southern home cookin’!
Southerners sure know how to eat. When we lived in the South we had some amazing shrimp ‘n grits, cornbread, collards, BBQ, crawfish, hushpuppies… all those amazing Southern classics.
The other day I told you that Martha White baking mixes are now available at Kroger stores, and that the J.M. Smucker Company challenged me to come up with a few Southern recipes with the mixes. I was more than happy to oblige since I definitely miss my days in the South. I made you some Bacon Scallion Cornbread, and promised you a BBQ chicken recipe.
Well, here it is! This BBQ Chicken and Cornbread Pie may not exactly be a classic Southern dish, but it certainly does combine two of them. BBQ chicken and cornbread are two great Southern flavors that pair just perfectly in this pie. And isn’t it so much more fun to eat them together in one bite? Especially when it’s all covered in a layer of melty cheese?
This dish is easy to throw together! Just bake your cornbread up in a skillet. While it’s baking, saute some veggies. Add some shredded chicken and BBQ sauce, and spread the chicken mixture over the baked cornbread. Then top it all with cheese and broil it just until the cheese is melted. A sprinkle of green onions completes the pie. Ta-da! And now I’m back in Mississippi, listening to the rain and crickets.
- 1 (7 oz) pkg Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron or enamel skillet with nonstick spray and place in the oven while it preheats.
- In a bowl, combine cornbread mix, egg and milk, and mix well to combine.
- When oven is preheated, pour batter into hot skillet, then return to oven and bake 17 minutes, until just browned.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper and garlic, and saute until softened, about 6 minutes. Add shredded chicken and BBQ sauce to the skillet and mix well to evenly coat chicken and veggies. Cook 2 minutes until heated through.
- When the cornbread is cooked, remove from oven and switch oven to broil.
- Top the cornbread with chicken mixture, then sprinkle cheese over top.
- Return to oven just until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with green onions, slice and serve!
I need a little more nostalgia, so tell me… What’s your favorite Southern recipe?!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of J.M. Smucker’s®. The opinions and text are all mine.