This easy to make Buffalo Chicken Chili combines all the classic flavors– hot sauce, celery and blue cheese. It freezes well and is great for a quick weeknight meal!
Does this recipe sound familiar? It might– I’ve made it before! It’s one I make over and over. And since I make it all the time, it’s one of our favorites, and my previous post on it had less than stellar photos– I decided I wanted to share it again. It’s a good one. And we are kind of obsessed with buffalo chicken everything.
If you haven’t noticed from my lack of posting, I’ve had an incredibly busy summer so far. I haven’t spent much of it at home, and therefore I haven’t been cooking a ton. I spent a long bachelorette weekend in Palm Springs, then a week in San Diego visiting a friend. San Diego was an amazing but depressing (because I don’t live there and had to leave) trip. I miss the ocean so, so much.
San Diego also has the most amazing food. We covered the entire spectrum from hippie healthy to indulgent, with fresh pressed juices and awesome craft beers every day. Oh, and these amazing buffalo chicken fries from barleymash. Give me all the buffalo chicken.
After a few days home, I was off again, this time to the East coast to partake in wedding festivities in Virginia for one of my oldest friends. By oldest I mean that we’ve been friends for 25 years, not that she’s old. Although the fact that I can say I’ve been friends with someone for 25 years definitely makes me feel old! Everything was so beautiful and it was so fun to catch up with all my hometown friends!
Before I left for the trip, I wanted to make something to stock my freezer with. There is nothing worse than coming home from vacation (or in this case, a long string of vacations) to an empty fridge and nothing to eat. This chili freezes really well, so I made a big batch and stuck it in there. It was perfect!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup beer or chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ½ cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s RedHot)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crumbled blue cheese, for serving
- Cook the chicken in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the dutch oven and, add the onions, celery and carrots. Cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beer or broth to deglaze the pan, then add the cooked chicken, tomatoes, beans, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne and hot sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with crumbled blue cheese.
Original recipe from Closet Cooking.
Hope all of you are having a great summer, too. Enjoy!
What are you all up to this summer? What are your favorite stock-the-freezer recipes?