These Chocolate Cherry Banana Bread Muffins are studded with juicy fresh cherries. They’re great as a quick breakfast or hearty snack! Make them while fresh cherries are in season!
Heyo. Sorry for the radio silence over here. Apparently my computer hates me, technology hates me, and basically, the world hates me. This week, at least. I had some other delicious things to share with you this week, but my computer didn’t want me to. After Nick spent 5+ hours trying to fix my computer problems, I spent 2 hours on a remote session with an Adobe tech (who couldn’t help me), then a few hours on my own with Google. With no resolution. And I think I pretty much just destroyed my computer. YAY!
On top of all that, my phone has been busted for the past few days (it turns off randomly every 3-5 minutes, sometimes reboots and sometimes doesn’t) and my replacement was supposed to come today. But it turns out that even though the rep at the Verizon store told me they would overnight it, when I called to see if it had been lost or stolen, the phone rep told me they actually sent it 2-day. Grrrr. First world problems, I know. But such a source of frustration. How the heck did people live before technology? Sometimes I think I liked those times better.
Anyways, now that I’ve gotten that out of my system…
These muffins. They may or may not look familiar. I shared these muffins over on Dessert Now, Dinner Later a couple weeks ago. My blogging buddy Amber was taking some much needed maternity leave and I wanted to help her out!
In case you didn’t catch these on Amber’s blog, now you see them! Since I can’t currently edit any new photos, I thought I’d at least share these with you. They’re super yummy.
We have some friends who own a bunch of cherry orchards, and every year when harvesting time comes around, they gift us with more cherries than we can possibly eat. Ripe, fresh cherries have got to be one of the best things in the world. And of course, they’re especially amazing when paired with chocolate!
With my abundance of fresh cherries, I decided to make a Black Forest-esque banana bread muffin. I wanted to keep these healthy enough for breakfast, but if you wanted to make them more of a dessert (or just an extra-indulgent breakfast), you could totally add some chocolate chips, too! These were really moist, chocolately and so delicious. Banana bread is one of my favorites, so I love finding fun ways to mix it up. Hope you like these as much as we did!
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups chopped fresh cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in (or spray) a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, beat together banana, coconut oil, egg and sugars until well combined.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder, and salt; mix until just combine. Fold in cherries by hand.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool a few minutes in the muffin tin, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Store extras in an airtight container, or freeze for later!
Love cherries and chocolate together!? Check out these Chocolate Chip Cherry Blondies!
Love banana bread? Don’t miss this Raspberry Banana Bread!
This recipe was first published on Dessert Now, Dinner Later on 06/09/2015.