Hey friends! Hope your week is going well so far. I have a delicious recipe for you today, but first…
Happy Belated Father’s Day! I’m a little late, but I still need to acknowledge my super awesome Dad. He inspires a lot of my cooking and some of his recipes even make it on the blog! Check out Dad’s Perfect Pancakes and Dad’s Beef Stew!
Since we had no Dads to celebrate with this weekend, we headed up to the mountains to go hiking. We went to Sequoia National Forest again, but this time chose a different trail, in the Jennie Lakes Wilderness area. As usual everything was peaceful and beautiful, and it was great to get away from the heat! We brought the mutt and he had a great old time sniffing and peeing on everything in sight.
It was nice to get to spend the weekend with the hubs because we haven’t seen much of each other lately. He was out of town for a week, and then last week worked 12-14 hour days all week so we really only saw each other in passing, if that.
Since Nick has been really busy at work, it’s been a bit of a challenge for us to fit grocery shopping, meal planning and cooking into the week. Luckily with a plethora of fresh veggies from the garden, I haven’t had to grocery shop too much. I’ve also been relying on pantry and freezer items and looking for quick and easy dinners.
This chicken fit the bill in every way. Not only did I have all the ingredients for it on hand, but it was a snap to throw together. I served it up with a chard and cherry tomato salad and some baked “fried” okra. Yayyyy garden!
- 3 small or 2 medium/large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- 2 tsp taco seasoning (or make your own: cumin, chili powder, oregano, cayenne, garlic powder, salt)
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in a lightly greased 8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning evenly over both sides of chicken breasts. Spread the salsa on top.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Remove chicken from over and sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Return to oven and continue baking for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.