With a high of 106 degrees today, I don’t really care what season the date says it is… it’s full-fledged summer out here!
With summer comes BBQ’ing and grilling season, cookouts and picnics. I bet you’ll be asked to bring a side dish to at least one event in the near future. Well… this is an awesome one! I was invited to a cookout for Memorial Day and this is exactly what I brought. It’s such a bright and fresh salad full of crisp and crunchy summer veggies. And it’s pretty too– so colorful! It’s great because there’s no mayo so it can sit out in the heat for a little bit if it has to. And obviously if it’s 106 here in June… we’ll be dealing with some heat.
This salad was a big hit and one I would definitely make again!!
Greek Tortellini Salad
(adapted from Slow Roasted Italian)
- 2 bell peppers (orange, yellow or red), diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 16 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, halved
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 (9 oz) package tortellini, cooked according to package directions, drained and cooled
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
for the dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
Combine veggies, feta, tortellini and chives in a bowl. In a small bowl (or jar), whisk (or shake) together dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Ta da! Easy-peasy!
Here are some more great summer sides to check out!