Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches

Today’s recipe isn’t so much a recipe as an idea. A super great idea!

Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches

Since Nick has pretty early mornings most days of the week, he is always looking for an easy grab and go breakfast. For a while it was Poptarts and granola bars, but he’s more of a savory breakfast person, so that got old fast. I was buying Jimmy Dean frozen breakfast sandwiches and they seemed to go over pretty well. But pre-made frozen food isn’t my favorite (long, unpronounceable ingredient lists and higher price tags), so I thought I’d make my own, healthier frozen breakfast sandwiches!

Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches

Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches

• 6 large eggs
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • 6 English muffins
  • 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
  • 18 small slices deli ham
  • Plastic wrap

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a jumbo muffin tin or small ramekins with nonstick spray. Crack one egg into each ramekin. Use a sharp knife to gently pierce each yolk.

FreezerBreakfastSandwiches11   FreezerBreakfastSandwiches12

Bake the eggs 10-15 minutes, until set. Slide eggs out of ramekins and cool slightly. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, if desired.

FreezerBreakfastSandwiches13

Meanwhile, slice English muffins. Layer one slice of cheese on each English muffin, then 3 slices of ham.

FreezerBreakfastSandwiches14

Finally, layer on the egg and top of the English muffin.

FreezerBreakfastSandwiches15

Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.

Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches

To reheat, remove the sandwiches from the plastic wrap and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute on 50% power. Flip sandwich over and microwave for 1 more minute on regular power.

Ta-da! An easy, on the go breakfast!

You Might Also Like:

Comments

1. says

I’m so glad you shared this! I’m dealing with the same thing with my husband, and this seems like a great solution! I also really like how you folded in the corners of the cheese so they don’t hang over. How long do you think these last in the freeze? A week?

• jessfuel says

If by “last” you mean how long before they are all eaten, then yes about a week. ;) Hahaha. But they should last at least a month if not longer. I put them all in a ziplock bag to keep them more airtight!

2. says

What an absolutely fabulous idea! My man loves a hot breakfast, but I hate how early he has to get up to cook. This might help us move the wake up time all the way to 5:40! Ahahaha. Kind of sad, but that would feel like sleeping in.

3. says

I’m the exact same.. I don’t like sweet stuff in the morning for breakfast. A good sandwich like this is what I’d want. I love how you cut the cheese to perfectly fit the egg and muffin too! Great post :)

Thanks so much for sharing with us at Weekend Wonders. Hope you’re having a great week!

4. says

OMG! These are perfect for my hubby! He’s out super early and is almost always bothered that I don’t get up early to make him breakfast. Sometimes he likes sweet, but overall, he just likes something he can grab and go. Thanks for sharing!

5. Rachel says

OH! I don’t know why I never thought to do this! I work a VERY early shift at the hospital (3am!!) and I am constantly struggling with breakfast. I’m not a cereal/oatmeal or granola bar gal. I like “food” in the morning :-) But at 2 am, I just don’t have it in me to make something. This just may be my solution…and the possibilities are endless! Thank you!

6. Austria says

This is great, thanks for sharing! But I was wondering…how do you think it would taste if the english muffins were toasted before hand? Unfortunately, I am gluten free so I won’t be able to taste these exact ones (I’m going to see about making my own GF version)…and my husband won’t really tell me one way or the other. If I were to toast the muffins first would it make them too soggy?

• jessfuel says

I thought about toasting them, but thought it might make them too tough & chewy when reheated in the microwave… no harm in trying, though!

• kris says

I have been making these for a long time and I always toast my muffins (under the broiler in the oven because I make a lot at once) and they turn out awesome. I wrap mine in the Dixie wax paper sheets to freeze and reheat right in the paper.

• MaryW says

I did toast mine, and they turned out super chewy…I ended up tossing them. They did not taste good.

• Corlissa says

I am also gluten free and I think I would probably not try these the way they are. Without gluten- just about any GF turns to mush in a hurry if there is any moisture. I would probably make “disks” to nuke and then place in a freshly toast english muffin: use larger meat slices and wrap the cooked egg and cheese in the meat and freeze flat, and stored between sheets of parchment. Grab one disk nuke for 45 seconds? You could wrap the two pieces in plastic and store in a single ziploc so its easier. Its an extra step but still makes it more convenient than cooking and good for those like me who put breakfast in their lunch to eat when they arrive at work…

• jessfuel says

Sounds like a great idea! I’ve never had gluten free bread, so I’m not sure how it reacts, but I take your for it!

7. Shell says

These looked so yummy in your photos that I had to make them today! I did make them with sausage patties that I cooked up first, I didn’t have any ham on hand, so I thought I would try it with the sausage! Looking forward to eating these for breakfast! Thanks so much for sharing this with the rest of us! Also I loved your idea of cooking the eggs like this, so quick and no mess on the stove top!!!

8. Kristen says

Can’t wait to try these tomorrow. Not counting the eggs baking, I think it me less than 10 minutes to throw these together! I think I might try making them with my homemade english muffin bread the next time I have that on-hand. That would be even more economical! Thanks for the great idea. :)

9. Melissa says

Guess i should have also asked if the bread part is soggy at all when it comes out of microwave?

• jessfuel says

If you microwave it directly in the plastic wrap, it will be– but the paper towel absorbs the moisture.

• jessfuel says

I’m sure you could, but I’m not sure for how long… I’d sneak a peek at a Jimmy Dean box in the grocery store next time you are there and follow the same directions! :)

10. Nancy says

My husband gets up at 2:00 am to go to work. I have been doing this for him for about 2 years. I do not freeze them, just refrigerate them. As well as using english muffins, I use bisquits or sandwich thins. I also scramble the egg and add things such as green peppers, chopped onions and/or diced ham for variety. I do toast the english muffin and the sandwich thins. He pops them in the microwave to heat them up for 1 minute. He loves them.

11. Michelle says

I make these a dozen at a time for my husbands breakfast. I use the pre cooked sausage patties. Since the sausage is already cooked, and they will be going back in the freezer, all I have to do is cook the eggs. I assemble, wrap and freeze. I put one in the fridge the night before to thaw. He heats it up at his morning break. No getting up early for me! Btw, I have tried toasting. He said they were hard. Did not have a happy hubby.

12. Karen Michaelson says

I bake my eggs in muffin tins. Take them to work and coworkers always comment about how good they look.

13. says

I make these regularly for my family, yet never thought to freeze some! Great idea for my hubby who is gone for work: Morning, noon, and night, quite often daily! Thanks!

14. Lori says

Thank you! I’m going to make these for camping and freeze a few.
    Also, please thank your husband for his service and dedication to our freedom!

15. Rachel says

Whenever I want to cut cheese to fit an English muffin, I use the round egg molds some people use to fry their eggs in, always comes out perfectly round, and my mum always remarks how cute it looks.

16. Holly says

This is perfect for my kids for breakfast and/or school lunch!! I’m still trying to figure out what to make the eggs in though. :-/

17. Morgan says

Do you think this could be used with croissants? I’m not a big english muffin fan! Love the rest of it though!

• jessfuel says

I’m not sure how croissants would reheat… they might be too delicate and get soggy? I think bagels would definitely work as an alternative, and I think someone commented that they used those sandwich thins as well.

18. samantha says

This is probably the most useful thing I’ve found on Pinterest. I’m in high school so this is PERFECT for me! Is it fine if use turkey instead of ham? Will it change the amount of time these last in the freezer?

19. Mendy says

These will last all week in the fridge. I have used croissants too, and they reheat in the microwave well. I’ve also used sausage. I’ve never had to freeze them, but might be a good idea to take camping.

20. Stephanie says

This is such a great idea (why didn’t I think of this!?!?)

My Hubby likes sweet, so what I’ve done in the past is spread some Jam on the inside of the English muffin…should be fine in the Micro…adds just a nice amount of sweet to the savory.

21. Angie Bell says

I am thinking of making 30 of these for a family reunion. Has anyone taken them from the freezer and heated in the oven? It would take too long to rewrap each one and do in the microwave. Love the recipe and plan on keeping some in the freezer for myself!

22. Shannon says

Another easy way to do the eggs in use the lid of a mason jar sprayed with oil … Put the egg in the lid on your skillet, flip when they are mostly hard and remove the ring…

23. says

As with the Jimmy Dean ones, they say it’s best to thaw before microwaving. Have you done that and noticed any difference? Just curious. Thanks for the great post!

• MaryW says

Yeah, I’ve thawed them and heated them up…still the same problem. I think the freezer must just dry them up way too much.

24. Deanna Littlefield says

These are also great when camping. We wrap them in aluminum foil and place around the fire or on a tripod over the fire.

25. Misty says

I have been making a version of these for years. Try using a cooked biscuit and a cooked sausage patty. All of the other ingredients the same. Super yummy and cheap.

26. Susan says

I also have done this. I also make breakfast burritos and freeze them. Scrambled eggs, baked tator rounds, either fried jimmy dean sausage or bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and salsa. Soo good!

27. Pamela says

Thanks! Great idea. I used Boars Head white cheddar and I buttered both sides of the muffin. When you heat it it melts and its even yummier!

• jessfuel says

I’ve never tried… I like my bacon super crispy, and I know it wouldn’t reheat that way, that’s why I use ham. But if you don’t mind a softer bacon, then I don’t see why not!

28. Becka says

I recently (& finally) “invested” in a round metal biscuit cutter. I think it was less than $2. I’m not a baker but I like to use it for sandwiches & such. It will be just perfect for this! Thanks for sharing! :)

29. robin handelman says

thanks for the tips…i just got a food saver. i eat the jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches almost 5 days a week and it gets costly…i am going to try to make these and freeze with my food saver…..can’t wait

• jessfuel says

It really depends on what kind of English muffins you use and what kind of cheese… probably somewhere around 300, though.

30. Kacey W. says

I have tried these before and could never get the muffin to not be soggy. I wrapped in a paper towel to reheat, but then my paper towel got all covered in melted cheese. So I decided to bake the eggs ahead of time and keep them in the fridge, and just toast the muffin the day of. I cook my eggs in a muffin top pan, which works really well.

31. Therese Z says

I am planning to set up a bunch of them this weekend but I am going to use veggie burgers on some, ham on others, no egg for me, not being a big egg fan. Considering a few sautéed mushrooms too. Thanks for getting me inspired!

32. Betty King says

I have made these, but not to freeze…good idea. I poach the eggs, and use whichever I have of ham, bacon or sausage patty.

33. Joy says

Love the idea of freezing. We make these all the time using 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich thins or bagel thins. And for cheese, I use the reduced fat Weight Watchers slices. (I really like the Pepper Jack.) For meat I typically use the thin sliced ham or turkey sausage, depending what’s in the fridge. I’ll have to try the eggs in a container. Usually I just scramble them and add as the middle layer, so the melting cheese helps keep the eggs together. If making several, I’ll reduce the egg yolks, maybe half whole egg/half only eggwhite. (If for me alone, sometimes only eggwhite.) Lots of ways to make these as healthy as possible. But I will definitely experiment with some of the additional ideas here!

34. Ivy Assiter says

This is awesome! I know you said until they’re set… How done should the yolk be? Yours look kinda runny and that’s how I like my eggs!

• jessfuel says

You don’t want it too runny or it will juice all over the place when you try to put the sandwiches together. But you don’t want it too done either, since reheating the sandwiches will cook it a little more. I take them out when tops are just barely done. The yolks aren’t going to run if you pop them, but they’re still a little on the moister side.

35. Nanette says

U can cook eggs in microwave to save time spray small glass bowl with cooking spray put egg in break yoke cook on high 40 to 45 secs.

36. Theresa says

I love these and make them all the time for my husband. He bikes (bicycle) to work each day. This gives him the protein he needs for the ride and energy to teach his students all day.
    Thanks so much!!

37. Daisy says

I always keep these in our freezer. I make an omelet and then cut into thirds and place on the English muffins or biscuits. A little more work, but its not too bad. I personally like it because its all contained, and the meat heats better when it’s chopped in the omelet. I also make pancake sandwiches, two pancakes(3 to 4 inches) and a omelet with breakfast meat. The tiniest bit of maple extract in the pancake batter is awesome!

38. brianna says

Is there a way to make the eggs more like restaurant style or with a cooked yoke or scambled?? I don’t eat eggs with runny yoke or over easy…!! But I love this idea as I’m not a big breakfast person but love mcmuffins!! Thx :)

• jessfuel says

I’m not sure what you mean by restaurant style… But these eggs are completely cooked through. You could cook them longer if you want, but then they may be rubbery once you reheat them.

39. Sherri Gamblin says

I made a bunch of these before. What I did was scramble a dozen eggs, season with salt and pepper, and pour them into a greased cookie sheet and bake them. I also toasted the buttered English muffins in the oven. Added slices of bacon and cheddar, wrapped them up and froze them. The were really good.

40. PAMELA says

I have made these for years. I also make a tortilla with bacon, cheese and scrambled egg, you can add dill, green onions, small chunks of tomato or avocado after microwaving. We enjoy these items when traveling.

41. Marilyn Mason says

We were also doing the Jimmy Dean(turkey sausage, egg muffin) good, convenient but expensive. I saw a recipe for a healthy egg muffin, it is this same muffin recipe, but we always use turkey sausage because my husband loves sausage but after heating sandwich add a big slice of tomato(veggie) & half of a sliced avocado(a good fat fruit) with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil(I put these in a sandwich bag of it’s own if the sandwich is traveling). It is amazing the energy & fullness you feel. The recipe was for weight control & called for low fat swiss cheese, I am not a fan of swiss & have used others but it’s odd how swiss brings all the flavors together. I prefer toasted breakfast thins they hold more & do not get soggy. This is a large sandwich so be hungry :)

Trackbacks

1. [...] Place a slice of cheese on the bottom of an English muffin, top with sausage patty, egg, and the top of the muffin.  Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag.  Reheating can be a little tricky.  Microwaving for 1 minute is perfect for the whole sandwich, except the egg.  My husband said it was like a little egg-sicle still.  We’re still playing around with it, but the solution seems to be pulling one out of the freezer the night before to thaw and then nuking it for about 30 seconds. Also, there’s the option of microwaving at 50% first to thaw without cooking.  We’ll try that one tomorrow.  So now you have a quick, hot breakfast sandwich that’s much better for you than greasy drive-thru!  Thanks for the great idea, Flying on Jess Fuel! [...]

2. […] burritos on the weekend and freeze them. Freeze french toast and pancakes, you can even make breakfast sandwiches ahead of time. A quick reheat in the microwave gives the kids (and you) a healthy […]

3. […] Breakfast sandwiches–now that we live 15 minutes from my husband’s work, he feels that leaving 10 minutes before he needs to be there is sufficient time. I don’t get that math but math has never really been my strong suit. In any event, he doesn’t eat breakfast at home so in order to make sure that he does, in fact, eat breakfast, I made these so he can just heat them up at work and chow at his desk. And I eat them, too. Also I cooked the eggs in a muffin tin. That was fun. […]